We returned home from St John, NB via Maine as it is a shorter route. We stopped overnight in Waterville using our Best Western points. The next day we drove to Magog, QC and walked around the lovely park on the shore of Lake Memphremagog. That night we stayed near Waterloo, QC where one of Dave’e university buddies comes from. We really enjoyed the beauty of the Eastern Townships – hills, lakes, streams, hiking trails, picturesque little towns and bicycle paths everywhere.
When we got to Ottawa we stopped at the Oblates residence for dinner. Outgoing Provincial Fr. Ken Forster and Vicar-General Fr. Jim Bleakley were turning leadership responsibility over to Fr. Ken Thorson and Fr. Richard Beaudette. It was great to say goodbye for now to these great friends and hope to see you again soon.
QC/NB Trip By the Numbers
The purpose of this road trip was to visit Marie’s brother Kevin and sister-in-law Phyllis. in St John, NB. For a map of our basic routing, click here.
The highlights we found most enjoyable were:
- Old Montreal – the architecture, food, music, shopping and Notre Dame Cathedral
- Manoir Dauth – exquisite room, welcome and breakfast by Brigitte and Christian
- Auberge de Belle Plage – in Baie-St-Paul, beach, restaurants, boutiques, live music
- Finding a room at La Villa D’Antan, Sainte-Luce when all was full in Rimouski
- Our great visit with Kevin and Phyllis, lunch and city tour in St John on a sunny day
- great pool table and game at Kevin’s and seeing Troy and Tyler
- Visiting departing Oblates in Ottawa while on our way home
Overall trip by the numbers:
- 2700 kms driven over 13 days
- 12 nights, 2 provinces, 1 state
- 11 sunny days, rain 2 days
- 35 beautiful old churches visited or photographed
- 3 seafood and 1 duck dinners, best chowder
- the best breakfast we ever had
- 3 swimming pools
- low traffic, convenient parking available, friendly people
- 300+ photos taken
- accommodating our English and putting up with Dave’s French
- first Airbnb experience very positive
- good shopping in and around Montreal (Point Claire)
Another great trip. Thanks be to God and for travelling with us.
D & M xo